Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Podcast Christmas Carol

Noticed on iTunes a Podcast Christmas Carol is coming up, a collective effort by a group of Podcasters.

I'm a big fan of Old Time Radio and of everyone's favorite Christmas ghost story, so I'm interested to hear how this turns out. Oddly, I never get tired of A Christmas Carol, no matter how many times it's redone. I'm even reasonably fond of the Jack Palance Western version.

Have a Patrick Stewart Christmas
Years ago--wow, too many when I think about it--I bought a CD of Patrick Stewart's one-man rendition of A Christmas Carol for Christine from the Signal's catalog.

She's not a big fan of Star Trek, Next Gen or otherwise, but she's always like Capt. Picard.

The CD quickly became mine, and I've listened to it around Christmas many years. Last year it became one of the first non-songs on my iPod along.

It's another of my personal traditions, I guess.

As scholars note, ACC was written at a time when Christmas traditions were dying out. The work was an important part of revitalizing the season, and I think that's why it's always welcome.

It's romantic Victorian setting and its tale of redemption is perpetually new and universal. When Scrooge finally says: "I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year," he's really speaking for all of us, wearied by the day to day grind but refreshed by the spirit of the holidays.

Like the Goo Goo Dolls say in "Better Days," it's the night the "world begins again."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...