Monday, July 23, 2007

Wikiquote - One of the coolest and most useful sites ever

Speaking of useful things you can find on the web, check out Wikiquote, a new Google discovery I just made trying to figure out who said what once upon a time. Pardon me while I gush.

It's prefatory notes call it "a free online compendium of quotations from notable people and creative works in every language..."

And it seems to cover everything Dante to Twin Peaks, which includes: "I like my coffee black, like midnight on a moonless night." -- Agent Dale Cooper.)

Actually a Dante quote may be more a appropriate example: Abandon every hope, ye who enter here." I did not know it was every hope, but if you dive in you will be kept busy for a while if you have remote interest in thumbnail bits of wisdom .

There's an A to Z list of literary works to browse, not to mention film. How exactly did Gerard Butler phrase that breakfast quote in 3oo? More eloquently than my memory served: "Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in Hell!"

Not to elevate 300 higher than it should be, but Wikiquote's not all high-brow. You can get the Grabthar's hammer quote from Galaxy Quest in its entirety, too:

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged."

And hopefully you can also get plenty of inspiration.

8 comments:

Danny Tagalog said...

Cheers for that Sidney.

The Voltaire one gravitated to me:

"Man is free at the instant he wants to be. "

cHEERS!

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll check this out. I assume they have plenty of Star trek quotes. We'll see if they have some of my favorites.

miller580 said...

This is awesome. Thanks.

I will have tons of fun with this.

Sidney said...

Thanks for the thoughts. Danny, that is a great quote. Definitely thought provoking.

Charles and Miller, loads of great ones for sure. They have Trek broken down by individual movies and series.

Erik Donald France said...

I love this stuff. Especially the quotes that are documented with original context.

And it'll only get beeter with time!

Sidney said...

Erik, Yeah, that is the cool thing, it will grow and expand especially as more "hands" come on board.

RK Sterling said...

Cool - thanks!

Erik Donald France said...

And I used it today, in fact ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...