Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A good day for pod folks

Yesterday was a big news day for iPod video users. Several Fox series rolled out on iTunes including 24 and Prison Break, as well as Firefly and Lost in Space.

I resisted the urge to impulse buy, but the expansion of available content is exciting.

I picked up the word at The Lost Remote TV Blog. In reporting, they asked: "Has anybody else noticed that you don't use your iPod for video as much as you thought you would when you bought it?"

Guilty as charged
I have to say it's true. I have watched quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't found myself trapped in as many mundane waiting situations since I got the video version at Christmas.

I watched quite a few shows while bicycling at the gym initially, but lately I've gravitated to G4 vodcasts.

I have an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode I got halfway through waiting on a video crew at my day job, but I haven't had a long wait since then to finish it.

I also have a couple of Night Stalkers I haven't watched.

Superstition
I guess it's because I'm a little superstitious. I don't want to waste purchased content on routine boredom. I have this sense I should save dramas for extreme boredom.

Maybe I will loosen up now that I have options for Jack Bauer, Dr. Smith and the crew of Serenity, and presumably Warner Brothers' upcoming paid content on Bit Torrents won't have the limitations of current online movies. Time will tell on that one.

Addendum
Apparently ABC's streaming has been so successful it will continue, according to Lost Remote. And they'll also be offering Bit Torrent content it appears.

The flood gates are open. I'm sure more companies will be following suit and looking for a business model that works better than selling content that's not portable for the same price as a DVD.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...