Sunday, March 09, 2008

I Went to the Renaissance Fair and What's on the iPod Because of It

It's been ages since I've been to a Renaissance festival. I was overdue. Huzzah!

We went for the jousting Sunday at The Four Wind Faire and stayed for The Brobingnagian Bards, an Austin-based duo performing Scottish and Irish drinking songs with the period instruments and the upbeat humor you hope for in such venues.



I was happy to discover they had a website, one member has a podcast and they're well represented on iTunes. They're veterans of science fiction conventions as well as festivals so there are Jedi tunes in their repertoire as well as many an Irish tune.

My favorite song, being a cat owner, is Marc Gunn's solo effort Danny Boy, to the tune of Londonderry Air, sung by a cat owner roused in the wee hours by his feline friend.

4 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Renn Faires are great fun. We always have to go watch the insulter that comes to our local Faire (& end up spending most of our money with him, too.) He's so brutal & hysterical! Always a pleasure, even if we end up on the receiving end.
If you get a chance, please vote for my drinking story, "My First & Last Experience with Scotch."

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, the insulter guy is great. It almost seems like I've seen these guys from the video somewhere as well, maybe at an SF con.

Miladysa said...

"sung by a cat owner roused in the wee hours by his feline friend"

rofl!

RK Sterling said...

Cool. Haven't been to one of those in ages. Overdue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...