Friday, January 01, 2010

The SidiPhone


I used to say, in those ancient days of 2005, it would certainly be nice to have my iPod and my cell phone wed.

Around that time Christine crunched some numbers and determined we'd come off well going to pre-paid cell phones.

They announced the iPhone, right after we bought these really nice LG phones that looked like racing cars. Alltel apparently sponsored a NASCAR driver. Who knew?

Anyway, with new phones and an insanely cheap payment plan, let's just say we weren't going to be moving to mechanized looms very quickly in our household.

Flashforward. I've finally worn Christine down. I got an iPhone for Christmas, so 2010 will be my 2007.

I promptly seized the 21st century technology and downloaded a couple of 19th century novels via an app called Stanza, though I got an app called Epi from Epicurious.com shortly afterwards.

That puts recipes and beer ads at your fingertips, so if you find great mahi mahi at the grocer--no more regretting you didn't look up a mahi mahi recipe before you left the house.

I'm hopeful that Christine will see the value in that just like The Bob Newhart Show reruns on Hulu helped her understand the virtue of an HDMI cable stretched across the living room from computer to TV.

I don't know if it will radically revolutionize my life otherwise, but utilizing the Twitterrific may soon improve my ability to type with my thumbs.

5 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

I've stubbornly drawn a line in the sand, where technology's concerned (kind of ironic for someone who's a certified computer network administrator, no?) I still have no cell phone or intention to get one & I'm still no twit(terer.) I might be getting left in the dust, but it's nice & comfortable here in the dust!

Sidney said...

I hear you. I don't know if things really, really enhance our lives, but I'm going to experiment for a while. I fixed this salmon with lime butter sauce http://bit.ly/WEpP3 that I found via my Epi app and it turned out pretty good this evening.

Erik Donald France said...

Happy New Year, dude! Wicked cool picture and nifty tech stuff -- cheers!

Charles Gramlich said...

You'll have to let me know how it is reading on the Iphone.

Steve Malley said...

I still forget sometimes, pick up my phone and shout, "Operator, get me Klondike 547!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...