Monday, December 17, 2007

Some Other Auld Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg's Gone

I was sad to read of Dan Fogelberg's death when I logged on to CNN.com this morning. It's selfish of me, of course, but it seems particularly doleful coming at the holiday season.

His "Some Other Auld Lang Syne" has always been a bit of an anthem for absent friends, old romances and otherwise, even though its narrative focuses on bumping into and catching up with an old lover on Christmas Eve.

I was a little late to the table in listening to Fogelberg. He was singer my girlfriends listened to at first, those sweet, sentimental lyrics tugging at their heartstrings.

I bought a best of album in the '80s as friends and I drifted apart and listened a lot to "Some Other Auld Lang Syne" as well as "Leader of the Band" and "Run For the Roses."

His tunes were a big part of the soundtrack of my life.

And now "the snow turns into rain."

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I never listened a lot to Folgerberg but I do like his voice. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Lana Gramlich said...

I was greatly saddened to hear this news last night, myself. "Same Old Lang Syne" always brought me to the edge of tears. Today is no different...

RK Sterling said...

How sad. I hadn't heard the news.

Anonymous said...

Me too. RIP Dan. His work played a huge part in my growing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this, Sidney. Great post. He was certainly one of my favorites. Very haunting voice at times.

Linked your post at LJiC.

Sidney said...

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...