Monday, November 05, 2007

Who Gets Hurt By the Writer's Strike?

Me.

I like Heroes as much as the next geek, but the screenwriter's strike won't impact me on the episodic television front.

Even if the networks expend all their first-run episodes before it's over, and even if, gasp, Lost gets delayed or, say it ain't so, 24, I've got 80 hours of stuff compiled on my DVR.

Since I watch in increments roughly equivalent to the length of Robot Chicken--one of the skits, not the whole 20-minute show--it will take me a while to burn through it all.

But, I'm still going to be impacted by the writers' efforts to get a fair shake on DVD sales, and yeah I think it's an effort to get a fair shake. They created the material after all. Who else should make money off it? Guys in suits who basically talk to each other for a living?

So, more power to the artists.

But how am I hurt by this strike?

The Daily Show probably ain't gonna be new again until it's over and ditto Bill Maher, which subs for me on Friday nights since TDS is only on through Thursday.

The only way I'm going to know what's going on in the world is by watching the actual news and we all know how reliable and accurate their interpretation is.

The horror. The horror.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

We're fans of the Daily show and Colbert report around here as well so I guess we won't be getting our usual doses.

Erik Donald France said...

Ditto. and to Bill Maher.

But I'm reading more books and writing more. So it's like a little strike vacation.

But to see lawyers (in Pakistan) throwing rocks and protesting in the streets -- priceless.

RK Sterling said...

LOL. Poor Sidney.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...