Monday, September 24, 2007

Autumn's Emergence

It doesn't seem quite like autumn, but I see by the calendar that we're approaching the October country. A few more days, and it might be time to watch out for Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show.

Autumn, as I've written here before, is my favorite season and a favorite time to read scary stories.

I don't think I'll re-read Something Wicked This Way Comes again this year, but it's a perfect autumn tale, set in autumn which is likewise a character.

Another excellent autumn choice is Fear by L. Ron Hubbard, a dark and chilling tale with a twist. It's been mimicked a few times so the ending may not seem quite a surprise, but it's still a classic psychological horror tale with a wicked opening passage:

"Lurking that lovely spring day, in the office of Dr. Chalmers, Atworthy College Medical Clinic, there might have been two small spirits of the air, pressed back into the dark shadow behind the door, avoiding as far as possible the warm sunlight which fell gently upon the rug."

By the time the professor finds his lost hat, many shivers have crept up the spine.

This year, instead of turning back to one of those classics, I've picked up Basil Copper's Necropolis. For some odd and inexplicable reason our local library owns an Arkham House edition.

It's dubbed a Gothic mystery and is set in a foggy Victorian England. The focal character is a contemporary of Sherlock Holmes. Hopefully it will be a nice choice.

Beyond reading, I need to fit in a screening of some of the Universal Horror tales. They don't air those as readily on cable any more, but I hate to miss The Black Cat and the uber spectacular Son of Frankenstein.

Yes, it should be a good season.


3 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Thank God for Autumn. It's still hot today, but soon!

I always liked Something Wicked This Way Comes, starting as a kid.

Charles Gramlich said...

I was just rereading that vignette in "The October Country" the other night. I love it to this day. "That country where it is always turning late in the evening." As for new stuff, I'm reading Joe Lansdale's "The Bottoms" right now and really enjoying it.

Sidney said...

I keep meaning to add "Something Wicked This Way Comes" as one of my favorite books in my profile. Gotta do that.

That's a great passage and captures the feeling I get in the fall, Charles. You know, I haven't read anything by Joe in a good while. He is consistently good and always engaging. He's got some fairly new short story collections too. Wayne traded him a copy of "Fiends by Torchlight" for it last year at World Fantasy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...