Thursday, June 28, 2007

Produce Yet Green

Our purple tomatoes to be are finally showing a bit of color. They've been green enough for frying for what seems weeks now, and it's difficult not to be impatient.

As a temporary fix we bought some of the heirloom Cherokee variety at a farmer's market on Saturday from a guy and girl who looked pretty counter culture. Pleasure doing business local. It's a Green thing.

That prompted me to wonder if my square box garden and my back-to-the-land effort make me seem more hippie-esque or just more like my dad.

He didn't know about things like "local" and "Green" with a capital G. He just liked tomatoes, and he liked making me work in his garden.

I hated it. It was one more source he had for giving me things to do.

Now it feels a little more back to the land, which I guess is why any pseudo-suit with a bohemian streak tills the land, or the compost in his square box at least.

Maybe the Old Man was on to something. He just had a Dick Cheney way of expressing it.

5 comments:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

You know you could use Dick Cheney in so many ways. You could use him in the title of a sixties' tune: "A Dick Cheney Kind of Love" by the Romantics. He could be a medical procedure: "I'm going to have to go in there and Cheney off the valve."

So.....okay.

Sidney said...

Very true, Stewart. I love the Jon Stewart impression: "Ack, Ack, Ack."

Clifford said...

Ya freakin' peace-lovin' hippy!

-Dick

Sidney said...

See my 8 Me-Me questions. If I'd been born when my parents first got married, I probably would have been a hippie in the '60s instead of an elementary school student.

Of course I'd also be closer to Social Security too.

Charles Gramlich said...

My dad always grew at least two gardens and I hated all the hoing and weeding and picking, although I enjoyed the eating. Three of my brothers are big gardeners today but I didn't get the gene passed on to me. I still don't garden and have publically stated that I never will. However, I just brought home fresh corn and cucumbers from home and they sure did taste good. Maybe....there's that back corner of my lot... NO!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...