Sunday, August 19, 2012

Settling In

I think I'm settling into the whole creative writing instructor gig, and I'm finding I like working with student writers to polish their fiction quite a bit

I'm sure I'll get tougher, but at the moment, I'm working to deliver criticism with a gentle touch. I've had times when criticism was needlessly brutal. I've also heard stories from friends of brutal feedback.

I suppose it has its place, but when I was on the receiving end, I didn't care for it as a pedagogical approach.

If I can achieve improvement without turning into a curmudgeon, or more of a curmudgeon, I'll continue the gentle approach.

Life's still a little in flux beyond the teaching. We've found a Florida house, and I'm in it, but I'm feeling a little like a squatter. I'm sitting on cardboard on the floor to read, standing up to eat and sleeping on a cot. The guy at the wilderness store was right. It's a pretty nice cot, but I'm still a stiff in the morning.

Transitions aren't always easy, but so far, I don't miss the corporate world as a day gig at all. 

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Enjoy, those first years of teaching are the absolute best! Luck with getting everything settled down for the house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...