Friday, May 23, 2008

Christine and Benjamin Button

I owe a bit of a debt to F. Scott Fitzgerald and Benjamin Button, the man who ages backward in a somewhat atypical Fitzgerald short story that's now due soon as a movie.

I was a bit excited to hear a while back a film was being made, and I just bounced across a trailer on the New Yorker web page.

I was checking out some shows I might jet up for over the long weekend. Kidding. I'll be here working a comics script, but about that debt.

Christine and I met while we were both reporters. She was not long out of college. I was a seasoned scribe with about five years' news experience.

She replaced the staff medical reporter who'd gone off to study the law, and we'd occasionally talk about this and that. Christine was not much of a fantasy reader. I was the eclectic I remain, and had read Gatsby in school and had encountered "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" but was not familiar with much of Great Scott's shorter work. Christine had and has a collection of short fiction and mentioned Benjamin Button. She brought the book to work for me to read, and we talked some more after that and started having lunch and playing putt putt golf--the latter kind of close to a first date after I finished an afternoon of interviewing Ray Stevens about Ahab and others.

Anyway, BB is due soon and here's the trailer in...is that Spanish? I'm terrible for recognizing languages.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely looks rather interesting and surreal. I think that is Spanish, although it could be Italian. I have not read this story but I should.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erik Donald France said...

Aye -- "this video is no longer available" -- at least in Detroit ;->

p.s. eclectic is good!

Anonymous said...

BJ and I used to play putt putt, too. Ah...the good ol' days!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...