Monday, August 01, 2005

What's on the Pod?

Last night I downloaded "Our Deliverance" by the Indigo Girls from iTunes.

It was the song that struck me the most at their Seattle concert. Its vivid, haunting imagry seemed to drift out on the breezes from Lake Union. I assumed then it was a more recent song with its mention of soldiers sent to distant places, but it dates back to 2002. Listening now, it seems perhaps more relevant.

Somehow the tune also evokes a memory of Billy Joel's "Goodnight Saigon."

Both are good songs as starting points for contemplation today.

Also on the 'pod
I've finished the first part of The Traveler.

Scott Brick's growing on me again. I've listened to him reading this tale long enough now that I've stopped recalling Company Man's characters with each inflection.

It's an interesting parable about privacy protections, peppered with action and Highlander-style myth. Only eight more hours to go on that one. I try to listen to novels mainly when I work out. Passes time on the treadmill a little easier.

Building a Playlist
Since the release of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time I've been sifting through my CDs, working on a playlist of those tunes.

The fact that Christine and I bought The Rolling Stone Collection after an infomercial a few years ago has helped a lot. Being Simon and Garfunkle fans has helped also.

So far my RS 500 playlist is: 39 songs long

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...